As someone who plays D&D (Yes, I'm THAT guy), I have found ambient noises to be critical in game-play. Many times, I find videos on YouTube titled, "Five Hours DND Dungeon Music," or "Hour of Ambient Cave Sounds," and the thing that they all have in common is what, I believe, makes them so powerful: low, constant tones. Or high tones that you barely even notice. As I had my players exploring a cave yesterday, I was playing this music: (CAVE MUSIC) and I noticed a tone very similar to the 432hz 'heartbeat of the universe' I had discussed in a previous post. Throughout the video, this tone wavers but never really dies. Thus, the music invokes emotions like calmness, relaxation, and happiness. A slight bell sound compliments the tone as it ebbs back and forth, keeping the listener entranced. And it's not just in this particular video either. Exploring through other similar ambient videos, almost all of them use this style with a constant tone, usually very high or very low, with a simple beat over top to maintain the focus of the listener.
Here are some of the examples I listened to:
Atrium Ambient (uses low constant tones with high piano over it and general low strings)
d&d battle music (Low tones with fast paced drums and electric tones. Lots of bass for you low-rangers)
Cave Music (Described above: high ebbing tones, with bells and ambient noises above)
Anyone else play D&D? If so, what ambiance do you prefer?
What do these videos make you think about as you listen to them?
I play D&D. I'm not really sure which ambiance I prefer, but I agree that the music playing makes the game more real and powerful.
ReplyDelete